Each year the Council's community boards set aside an amount of money to fund young people in their local community.
Apply for a Youth Development Fund grant
Under this scheme, the community boards will consider applications for a variety of activities including:
- educational studies – this can include personal development opportunities, such as leadership skills, career development and skills training or community based educational skills
- cultural studies – this can include courses or seminars such as Te Reo lessons, musical training, arts colloquiums or attendance at cultural events taking place locally, nationally or internationally
- representation at events – applicants can apply for assistance if they have been selected to represent their school, team or community at a local, national or international event. This includes sporting, cultural and community events.
- recreation development – assistance to attend or take part in one-off or ongoing recreational events, or participation at recreation or sporting development. For example, representing Canterbury at rugby or advanced ballet classes in Wellington.
- capacity building – providing support for personal development or growth. For example, leadership training.
On average, successful applicants to the fund have received around $300 from the community boards.
If you are not sure which community board area you live in you can use our community board map