We are constructing transport projects in St Albans, Edgeware and Mairehau aimed at managing the expected traffic when the Christchurch Northern Corridor opens and improving connections for pedestrians and cyclists in the area.
Sign up for updates on traffic mitigation projects
The Christchurch Northern Corridor (CNC) is due to open in December 2020 and will help people travel to and from the north of Christchurch by extending the Northern Motorway from QEII Drive and Cranford Street, through to Innes Road.
Further information about this project is available on the NZ Transport Agency website(external link).
Construction is underway
Construction is now underway with work currently focused on the following areas:
- Cranford Street and Sherborne Street this includes the Cranford/Westminster intersection, the Cranford/Berwick intersection and installing new water mains between Berwick Street and Bealey Avenue. We are also doing significant work at the intersection of Sherborne Street and Bealey Avenue
- The intersection of Warrington Street and Barbadoes Street
- The intersection of Berwick Street and Forfar Street
- The intersection of Barbadoes Street and Edgeware Road
When travelling through the area we recommend sticking to the main roads such as Madras Street, Barbadoes Street and Hills Road where possible. We will be keeping traffic moving on these roads.
Thanks for your patience while we do this disruptive work. If you have any queries about the work please contact email@example.com.
What have we been working on?
- The Warrington Street/Barbadoes Street intersection is complete – traffic lights will operate from Monday 21 September 2020. There will be some tidy up work and Barbadoes Street is now two-way down to Canon Street.
- The left turning lane from Barbadoes Street into Bealey Avenue is open and line marking will happen next week.
- Resealing on Sherborne Street from Bealey Avenue to Purchas Street.
- Landscaping on Madras Street and Barbadoes Street.
- Parking bays on Westminster Street asphalted.
What's coming up?
- The final seal on Berwick Street and Cranford Street between Westminster Street and Oxley Avenue. This will happen over the weekend and Berwick Street will be back to two-way traffic on Monday 21 September 2020.
- Road reconstruction at the Cranford Street/Westminster Street intersection – there will be a road closure on the west side of the intersection switching to the east.
- Road reconstruction on the north side of the Warrington Street/Forfar Street intersection on Saturday and Sunday. The road will be closed on the north and west sides of the intersection.
- Reseal on Cranford Street between Oxley Avenue and Winton Street.
- Reseal on Sherborne Street between Edgeware Road and Canon Street.
- Completing line marking on Barbadoes Street.
- Construction of a parking bay on the south side of Westminster Street at the Hills Road intersection.