All businesses that produce liquid trade waste and discharge to the sewer system must apply for a consent or registration to discharge.

Trade waste consent

A trade waste consent is an agreement between the Christchurch City Council and the industrial and commercial customers authorising them to discharge trade wastewater to the sewer system.

A trade waste consent is required by all businesses which fall into the small business (permitted use) or large business (conditional use) categories under the Trade Waste Bylaw 2015.

A trade waste consent may specify:

  • the type of pre-treatment required
  • how often the system needs to be serviced
  • the substances that are allowed to be discharged
  • the volume and/or rate of discharge.

Consents are usually issued for between 1 and 5 years depending on the type of consent and involve annual or quarterly trade waste charges. It may be necessary to monitor trade waste discharged into the sewer.

Registration to discharge

A business that discharges trade waste of less than 1,245m³ per annum, and is within the limits set out in Schedule 1A of the Trade Waste Bylaw 2015, must register. A permitted consent may be required and this will be looked at on a case-by-case basis.

Transferring ownership

Trade waste consents are non-transferable. The existing owner should inform the trade waste team of their intention to sell the business so consent can be cancelled. The new owner will need to apply via the normal process.


Apply for a trade waste consent or registration to discharge by completing the relevant form below:

Email your completed form to: or post to:

Technical Services, Three Waters and Waste
Christchurch City Council
53 Hereford Street
PO Box 73014
Christchurch 8154